The“Touch ‘n Go Scanning System” identifies and associates points on the finger with the student’s meal account, automatically deducts the money, and records the date.
In the past, the Central Community School System (CCSS) Department of Child Nutrition Program (CNP) utilized scanning cards and the student’s name as Point of Service (POS) meal tickets. The reasons for “Touch ‘n Go Scanning” instead of student’s name or scanning cards are as follows:
1. Touch ‘n Go Scanning provides security for student lunch accounts.
Only the student’s finger may access his/her lunch account Cards, names, etc. are easily shared, stolen or forgotten.
2. Touch ‘n Go Scanning removes the social stigma associated with subsidized participation in the meal program.
No one knows who is receiving free or reduced meals or who is paying for meals. Hopefully, the removal of this stigma will increase meal participation.
3 Touch ‘n Go Scanning provides faster, more accurate meal lines by eliminating the following problems.
- Cashiers have difficulty hearing the students state their name as they go through the lunch lines.
- Whenever a student forgets his/her meal card, the cashier must take the time to enter the student’s name in order to retrieve his/her account. This slows the meal service.
- Whenever a student uses another student’s name, the student whose name is used is billed for the meal. This is very upsetting for the parents.
- It is expensive to replace cards when lost or stolen.
The idea of “fingerprinting” students has raised concerns about privacy issues among parents and school leaders. The Touch ‘n Go Scanning System does not use the entire fingerprint, nor does it store the image. The technology uses “finger imaging” to create a template of numbers corresponding with the unique swirls and arches of each print. The fingerprint image is discarded and all that remains is the number. The image cannot be reconstructed, duplicated, or used for any other identification purposes
If you don’t want your child’s finger or ID card scanned, please fill out the form below and send it to school with your child.